Rapid City South Dakota is truly an amazing town. There is a little of something for absolutely everyone!
Zach’s top list of the top things to do in Rapid City:
- Main Street Square Free (Shops from Women’s Boutiques to Guns to Candy!)
- The Outdoor West Campus No admission Fee (An expansive campus with a 4,600 gallon freshwater aquarium and over 1.5 miles of nature trails over 32 acres of different habitats. Learn about South Dakota wildlife and search for Geocaches!)
- Bear Country USA Admission Fee (8 miles from Rapid City, you can view species from Bear Cubs, to buffalo, wolves, elk and so much more! Take a 3 mile drive through 200 acres to view these animals from you own car!)
- Reptile Gardens Admission Fee (Just before Bear Country USA, swing into Reptile Gardens to see exotic birds, minerals, fossils, and shows)
- Cosmos Mystery Area Admission Fee – Free for 11 and younger (Have you ever wanted to stand on a wall? Maybe be taller then a friend without cheating? Then you really need to check it out!)
- Summer Nights Free (If you’re around on a Thursday evening, head downtown Rapid City and check out the live music and vendors)
- Canyon Lake Park Free (Located on the West Side of Rapid City, Canyon Lake Park is a great place to relax, try your luck at fishing, have a picnic, take a walk or bike ride, or even rent a paddleboat.)
- Storybook Island Free (Mainly pointed towards the younger kids, this park will definitely bring a smile to their faces!)
- Flags and Wheels Admission Fee (Dare to take your driving, batting, or paintball skills on the ultimate test? With extreme karts, go karts, lazer tag, indoor paintball, bumper cars, slot cars, and batting cages; everyone in the family can have a great time!)
- WaTiki Waterpark Resort Admission Fee (The whole family can enjoy this indoor waterpark! Relive your youthfulness and make a splash!)
Provided is a list of local hospitals in the Black Hills. We hope nobody ever has to use one of these links for a tragic emergency. If they do our thoughts are with you!
Summer Nights in Rapid City
Summer Nights is a FREE event for all ages. Come join the fun! There’s no better way to experience the vibrant nightlife of Rapid City, SD! Starting in June, Live Music occurs every Thursday evening during the Summer from 5:30pm – 8:30pm in the heart of downtown Rapid City, SD.
Chamber of Commerce websites for the Black Hills Area
Rapid City Newspapers
Rapid City Area Schools
The Rapid City school distractic is made up of 16 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, 2 high schools, and 1 alternative high school academy. With approximately 13,100 students K-12 and a total staff of about 1600.
Total Enrollment in 2010-2011
High School – Graduation rate of 87.2% in 2005
ACT Averaged Scores: Rapid City: 22.1, State Average: 21.8, National 21.0